Saturday, November 20, 2010

Old Bollywood

My latest pleasant pastime is following the work of the lovely Laxmi Chhaya, a dancer in Bollywood during the 60's and 70's. She has inimitable style, great moves and is a stunner to boot. She was for a time, the next best option to the fantastic Helen along with another looker and dancer Bela Bose. Wonder why these women never made it as heroines though..

From Gumnaam (1965), one of her earliest dances in the movies to a brilliant rock n roll number sung by the godly Mohd Rafi. That shimmering gold dress and some great moves here..


And here is another, this time with Bela Bose from an early Rajesh Khanna film, Baharon ke sapne(1967). Lata and Asha have a crackling time with the mike as Laxmi and Bela dance up a synchronized storm :-) I can't get enough of watching this number..Music by that man, that star RD Burman.



One more, a great Lata number from Raat aur Din(1967). Nargis won a National award for her role in this film as a schizophrenic. Laxmi Chhaya's dancing is so contemporary in this one, a lot of western moves complemented by that very bollywood extra that pumps up the charm.



Thanks to Tommydan1's HQ videos. And memsaabstory.wordpress.com & Madhulika's dustedoff.wordpress.com whose pages I have spent many hours on, reading with delight every turn of phrase and story. Our common Shammi Kapoor love allowed me to serendipitously find them. Thank you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! - and for the Laxmi Chhaya songs. You've showcased three of my very favourite songs of hers there; I especially love Aawara ae mere dil, such a stunner of a song.

zap said...

No, Madhulika. ThankYOU:)
I am completely obsessed by her and Bela Bose..so gorgeous, so fabulous. Did you manage to trace their whereabouts then?

Anonymous said...

No, not me. But I think Greta (at memsaabstory) was trying to figure out what happened to Laxmi Chhaya and Bela Bose. As far as I know, no luck yet!

CD printing said...

The old bollywood actress Laxmi Chaya and her songs shown by you are excellent. I just loved listening to her

Promotional USB Drivers said...

This is very extra ordinary web blog.The postings in this blog are quite interesting and unique. Please add some more new posts in this blog. I am the frequent visitor to this blog.